This is the first of my parenting entries...
Here is my disclaimer . .. I am by no means a parenting expert and am not the "Supernanny" (although we are both glasses wearing, intelligent women). I parent my child through the advice of the many mothers in my circle, my family, doctor, pastors, and friends as well as commonsense.
A major thing parents I know forget is to take care of themselves. We all know our job is to care for our chidlren and provide for their basic needs. This can at times be a very daunting task, physically, emotionally, and financially.
We as parents needs to find ways to care for ourselves in order to care for our children better. This is not a new concept and an idea that I am reminded of often even in my own life.
We need to take time for ourselves and stick to it. Here are some of my current favorite ways to take care of yourself.
1. Read (even for ten minutes) - get lost in the lives of characters and a life that is not your own. My favorite author for years has been Robin Jones Gunn author of the Christy Miller Series and Sisterchick books. If you must you can read a parenting magazine or book.
2. Craft - crochet, knit, paint, etc...my current craft is making felt food for "AJ's" kitchen and friends. I know its for her, but sewing is relaxing.
3. Scrapbook - ok I guess its crafting, but there is something calming about cutting and glueing with pictures and pretty paper.
4. Cook - I used to cook fattening stuff and still do at times, but now when I am stressed I try a new recipe and hope for healthy (sometimes). Trying new foods is a way to take care of yourself.
5. Walk - alone or with a kid in a stroller. Enjoy the scenery and breathe deeply. Its exercise, and fresh air is good for the soul.
6. Laugh - at yourself, with your kids, at a movie. "America's Funniest..." always gets me going. Its good for your sould to have a really good deep laugh.
Give the ideas a try or do some of your own, most importantly take care of yourself to take care of your kids.